email@example.com | cortlynnstark.com | @Cortlynn_Stark
Breaking News Reporter
The Kansas City Star | 1/2020 – Present
- With a focus on race, class, and equity, dove into issues including poorly-managed apartment complexes; investigated The Star’s own racist past; interviewed now President Joe Biden; covered protests on the ground that began in June and never stopped; focused on amplifying the voices of the unheard; covered the disproportionate impact of COVID-19 on people of color; covered daily breaking news.
The Indianapolis Star | 9/2019 – 11/2019
- Responsible for writing and pitching stories on City Hall and public safety going into the November election; covered Vice President Mike Pence’s visit to Indianapolis; covered breaking news.
The Washington Post | 6/2019 – 8/2019
- Wrote and pitched stories related to D.C. government for both daily deadlines and longer enterprise stories; interviewed politicians, adults with memory loss, underserved kids and more; covered violent crime and Trump’s Fourth of July spectacle; wrote feature stories about city residents; took photos to accompany stories.
The Standard – Missouri State University | 5/2018 – 5/2019
- Managed a staff of almost 40 editors, reporters and photographers under a weekly deadline; worked with digital editor to plan social media posts; worked with section editors to create budget; worked to implement a beat system for reporters. Previously news editor and reporter.
Web Producer/Assignment Editor
KOLR10 | 3/2017 – 2/2019
- Wrote breaking news and news releases for the web within immediate deadline; managed Facebook and Twitter feeds to drive tens of thousands of page views, used Google Analytics to post content, clipped video; created weekend assignment budget.